With the festive season upon us and many of our tenants returning home for this period, we thought it prudent to advise you of some precautions you can take to ensure your property’s safety whilst you are away and meet your requirements as tenants in the process.
- As subzero temperatures are forecasted to be with us shortly, please be advised that it is your responsibility, even during periods when you are not occupying the property, to ensure that pipes do not freeze and burst. This is likely to involve leaving your heating on a low setting and/or on a timer to ensure that the property remains at an adequate temperature. As well as meeting your obligations, it’s also going to ensure that your property does not become susceptible to condensation.
- Take any valuables home with you and ensure all doors and windows are locked when you leave.
- Clear gardens of items such as bricks/ladders that could be used to force entry. We also suggest that you ask a trusted friend or neighbour remaining in Cardiff to keep an eye on your house during the holiday and ask them to push through any mail left hanging from letterboxes. Also, please remember to bring in your bins.
- So the house appears occupied, set up light timers to come on whilst you are away and close curtains in ground floor bedrooms. Also, remove obvious signs visible through windows that it’s a student house, e.g. posters.
- Cathays, Plasnewydd, Roath and Gabalfa residents - prior to the end of term your bin days are 7th December for Recycling and Food waste only (no blacks bins/bags) and 14th December is for Recycling and Food waste as well as Black Bins and Bags. Ensure you bring in all bins and bags prior to leaving for the holidays.
- When you return, don’t leave packaging of expensive purchases or gifts on display or in bins as burglars know the packaging relates to items worth stealing.
Of course, your landlord has responsibilities too, which mainly include making sure you are able to heat your property adequately, so if you don’t feel you are able to do this then please give our Maintenance Team a call on 02920 454555.
For more information please visit our help section.
We hope this information has proved helpful. Everybody at CPS Homes would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!