Tenancy guide for landlords - Part 5: Maintenance | CPS Homes

Tenancy guide for landlords - Part 5: Maintenance

MaintenanceTenants can report maintenance issues in person or by telephoning us at one of our three Cardiff branches, or they can log it online using our specially-designed maintenance reporting system, which offers advice on commonly-reported issues and allows tenants to upload photos/videos for our reference.

Before jumping to send out a contractor, we take as much as information about the issue as we can, and check that it’s not something obvious which the tenant ought to be sorting - like changing a light bulb, checking a fuse box, or topping up boiler pressure. Our knowledgeable maintenance team regularly talk tenants through procedures like this in order to avoid unnecessary call-out costs to landlords.

We have professional, reliable and fully-qualified contractors who we trust to complete all jobs in a skilled and timely manner. However, if you have contractors that you would prefer to use, you are welcome to do so - we can make a note of their contact details on our system and refer work to them rather than our usual contractors.

If there are any appliances that you have under warranty or you have the likes of British Gas Homecare Cover, please let us know the necessary details of the policies so we know not to send out a contractor to repair something that’s guaranteed or covered elsewhere.

Landlord or tenant, who's responsible?

There is a balance between what tenants and landlords are expected to do in terms of maintenance. As a general rule, if a problem was the result of tenant damage or negligence, they will be liable for the costs. The landlord is responsible for maintenance issues that occurred through no fault of the tenant - like a boiler part breaking or a leak from a pipe. For example, if a toilet blockage were caused due to a failure in the sewerage or drainage system, it would be the landlord’s responsibility; but a blockage caused by flushing things that shouldn’t be (like wet wipes etc.) would mean that the tenants are liable.

We deem that pests and vermin are the tenants’ responsibility after 21 days of living at the property, as it will be assumed that their presence is due to the tenant’s living conditions. We tend to suggest that landlords pay to have access holes blocked up in order to help the tenants manage the issue (and prevent further outbreaks), but the treatments of the pests/vermin are the tenants’ responsibility.

If you missed the previous parts of our tenancy guide for landlords, you can catch up below.

If you're a landlord looking for more information about property maintenance, please do get in touch today on enquiries@cpshomes.co.uk, pop into our Woodville Road branch in Cathays, or give us a call on 02920 668585.

06 September 2017


Posts by date

Sign up for updates

By using this form, you agree with the storage and handling of your data in accordance with GDPR for the sole purpose of communication. We respect your privacy and will not share your data with third parties. For more information, please view our Privacy Policy.

cwtch tile