Selma, owner of Blossom Café in Cardiff, shares a recipe for a winter warmer to feed the whole house.
- Olive oil
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large courgette
- 1 green pepper
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 potatoes
- 2 tblsp of tomato puree
- Salt and pepper
For the béchamel sauce topping:
- ½ cup or 170g plain flour
- 25g butter
- 450ml milk (hot)
- ½ cup or 170g cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180 C/350F/gas 4.
- Slice pepper into stripes. Peel the potatoes then slice along with the courgette and aubergine into 1cm thick rounds.
- Place the aubergine in a colander over a sink or on kitchen roll and sprinkle with salt. Leave to drain.
- Place all the vegetables in one layer onto a lightly oiled baking tray(s) and drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Slice the onion and crush the garlic. Sauté both with 1tbls oil, for 5 minutes.
- Add the tin or tomatoes and tomato puree, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- For homemade bechamel sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour to form a paste, add a dash of hot milk. Stirring continuously, add the rest of the milk a splash at a time. At the end you’ll have a smooth sauce.
- In an oven proof casserole dish, begin layering up your ingredients. Spoon some tomato sauce into the bottom of your dish, add a layer of vegetables and then tomato sauce. Repeat until all used.
- Grate cheese over the dish and then spoon over the bechamel sauce, until all the layers are covered.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until it is bubbling and golden brown.
Extra tip: To freeze place in freezer-proof container and cover well with foil. It will last for up to 3 months frozen, defrost thoroughly before reheating until piping hot.
"Moussaka is a great vegetarian dish that can be eaten as a meal or why not try serving with a green salad and toasted pitta bread or chips, garlic yoghurt and cucumber." - Selma Oran, Blossom
Follow Selma at www.instagram.com/blossomcardiff to keep up to date with her and her wonderful café!